A recreation of the railway journey that used to be possible between Christchurch and Ringwood up until closure in 1935; following very nearly all the remaining track bed and searching out all visible remains.
Starting at Christchurch, the position of the original station is shown, before taking in views of where the track ran, through the eastern edge of the town next to the River Avon.
The track bed is then joined at Dudmoor Lane and travelled by bike to Hurn station, taking in the views that travellers would have enjoyed.
Hurn station area and building is shown in some detail, including the positions of now removed platforms, crossings and structures. The final section of track bed leaving the station area to the north is followed right up to where it joins the A338. Attaching a very home-made camera mount to the sunroof opening of a car (Polocam), the section of track covered by the A338 is travelled as far as Leybrook Common, where it diverges east on to Wattens Lane and then in to the forest.
Remaining track bed is then followed on foot until just north of the access road to Kittens Farm where private gardens of the Avon Castle estate restrict access. The owners of the private station at Avon Lodge allowed access and this is shown is in detail. Some short sections of track are then shown on foot before the track joins Castleman’s Corkscrew on the outskirts of Ringwood, where the remaining journey is carried out by bike and car. The film ends with reference to a vintage map and a slideshow of stills taken along the way.
Contains constant informed, running commentary throughout.